Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What a waste!

I was hungry after lunch, so I ran through McDonald's. Picked up a Fruit & Walnut snack (good, since I only eat the fruit and a few walnuts) and an Apple Pie (not so good, but I get them rarely).

Then I noticed the packaging.

The Apple Pie was in a cardboard box, in a bag with at least 2 napkins. This bag was nestled, along with the Fruit & Walnut Snack in a second, larger bag with at least 4 more napkins, plus a fork/knife set wrapped in plastic. Nearly all of which ended up in a landfill. Keep in mind the Fruit & Walnut Snack is hermetically sealed in a clear plastic box itself.

I sure wish I'd asked them to keep the bags and at least most of the napkins.

To be fair, Mickey-D's isn't any worse than any of the other fast food chains at this. They all seriously over-package their "to go" orders.

Of course if I'd parked and walked in, I could have much more easily refused all the packaging, saved some gas, and gotten a tiny extra bit of exercise, too.

Folks who live in glass houses...

No comments: