Saturday, June 6, 2009

Saving produce, part deux...

My first experiment with keeping fruit and veggies fresh consisted of simply eating a lot of them. This works well, but it ends up with a lot of trips to the grocery, and still some rotten fruit. There's only so much fruit one man can eat, after all.

So begins Phase Two of my experiments:
These are the Rubbermaid Produce Saver containers. Clear plastic containers with snap on lids that have little vents in the rims and trays that allow air to circulate under the produce. For storage, the trays, lids and bowls snap together so that the parts don't become lost.

Rubbermaid claims these containers will preserve produce up to 33% longer than standard containers. The set I bought had three containers in small (2 cup), medium (5 cup) and large (14 cup). These are just large enough to hold a box of blackberries, a box of strawberries, or a bag of grapes, respectively. My sister has a set, and she says they do in fact work well.

I've only had mine for a couple days. The square shape does pack much more efficiently in the refrigerator than the round bowls I was using last week. We'll have to see how the fruit fares.


No comments: