Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Remembrance of Things Past

Driving to work this morning, I was reminded of some simple childhood fun.

When I grew up, I lived on the only road on our side of the river. The interstate had not yet been completed, so there were quite a few semi trucks driving by the house. We used to sit on the bank by the road and watch the traffic go by. When a truck would approach, we would stand up and make the horn-blowing fist-pump motion - upper arm straight out, forearm straight up, hand in a fist, pumping up and down, simulating pulling on the activation cord for the air horn. The truckers would usually reward us with a blast or two on their air horn in response.

Fast forward thirty years. On my way to work this morning, I was behind a semi truck passing a group of kids waiting for the school bus. One of them was making the motion, and the trucker responded in kind.

If you're reading, chime in with a favorite childhood memory or two...

Some things never change, I guess...

No comments: