Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Some musings on "reduce reuse recycle"

Hmm... my enforced sabbatical from the bike (symptoms improving slowly, btw) has left me reading a lot and thinking a lot.  Since at least part of my impetus for cycling to work - and hence part of the raison d'etre (did I spell that right? excepting diacritics?) of this blog - is at least some measure of environmental responsibility, I suppose I should wax a bit about the topic (and yes, I'm feeling a bit "wordy" today).

First, I don't consider myself an "environmentalist" or a "tree-hugger".  I'm certainly not a "liberal", either.  I think the current political labeling system is far too simplistic and ham-fisted, but I'd have to say I'm "conservative" or even "libertarian" on most issues.  I'm certainly not in favor of government mandates to force everyone to do things a certain way.  I think that runs essentially counter to the fundamental core of America's spirit - one of individualism, bootstraps and all that.

And yet, when I see the TV running with nobody watching, or I make another 2-mile trip to the store in my car, I wonder if I couldn't be doing better for myself, my family and the environment.

Nothing left but to explore some of the reasonings and rationalizations for voluntarily and individually living in at least a somewhat more "earth friendly" way...

I think in short it has to do with thinking long term and thinking about one's impact on the world around himself.  Sometimes the best thing long term isn't the best thing short term.

For starters, let's look at the obvious question of why bike everywhere (or even most or some places) instead of driving?  Here are a few practical thoughts:

* Less gasoline bought
* Lower maintenance costs
* Less net time spent exercising
* No health club fees
* Lower cholesterol and A1-C scores
* Overall better health
* Lower purchase price for the vehicle(s)

Just looking at the money aspect, all of these reduce the overall cost of living.  Any money saved in these areas can be redirected to savings and investment, or to spending on more "fun" things.  There is clearly, therefore, an economic benefit to biking over driving.  There are trade-offs, however:

* More exposure to the weather
* More exposure to "overuse" injuries
* Longer travel times, especially outside the urban core

I'm sure there are others.  However, for most folks, these downsides are not nearly enough to tip the balance.  A car can be retained (or rented!) for bad weather or long trips, and the exposure to overuse injuries must be balanced against the overall increased health due to increased exercise.  Again, for most people, biking wins.

There's a dubious argument, of course, that cycling is somehow more dangerous than driving.  However, the statistics don't bear this out.  In fact, studies done worldwide show that the health benefits of regular daily cycling far outweigh the risk of injury or death from accident, and that in fact cycling is no more dangerous than driving an SUV.

What about other "green" activites?  Simple things like keeping unused lights and other power drains off, wise choice of thermostat settings, and weatherproofing have long been touted as good ways to reduce home energy costs, and also contribute to reduced CO2 emissions at the power plant.  Money in  my pocket, and green!

We're talking about getting a rain barrel and having a small garden in the yard.  I don't know if we'll truly get any direct economic benefit... I strongly suspect that tending the garden will cost more in sheer $$$ than simply hitting the grocery.  On the other hand, the kids will learn something of hard work and tilling the land.  Again, I think the benefits will outweigh the costs.

It boils down to eliminating waste and focusing on what really matters.  Every watt a light bulb in an unused room burns is a penny my kids could be tossing in Trevi Fountain someday.  Every gallon of gas I burn between home and work is a movie we could be watching together and another hour of the day I have to carve out for exercise.

So, a little bit at a time, I suppose I'm turning green in my "old age"...

No comments: