Sunday, September 28, 2008

Cross-trainign HURTS!

I once read a quote... not sure who to attribute it to, but perhaps someone will help me out there... it goes something like this:  "It's not running that hurts.  It's not running that hurts."

I can attest to that.  On and off over the past five years, I've "started running" probably eight times.  Each time, it hurts.  Once you get going, it's really quite fun, but it's something that you have to maintain conditioning for.  If you slack off and let your legs get soft, it hurts to start over.

So, again, I'm starting over.  I know that it's eventually going to get so cold that I won't want to ride to work, but I'm still going to need some exercise.  I know from experience that there pretty much isn't any weather that I can't run in, so in anticipation of that I'm trying to get 2-3 runs in per week on days that I don't or can't bike.

This week I've completed my first few "runs" (actually, alternating short bursts of running and walking).  It hasn't been bad, so far, but it will get harder as the weeks go on.  The key is to build up slowly so that the leg bones and tendons have time to adjust to the pounding.  It doesn't hurt to lose some weight, either.  Of course, I've also never lost weight quite as efficiently as when I was running regularly.

I'll be chronicling my progress here... we'll see how the winter goes!

No comments: