Thursday, September 11, 2008

A recent Op-Ed

I just stumbled upon this recent op-ed from our local newspaper...

Motorists should give bikers a little leeway

When I turned 50, I decided, with the encouragement of my husband, to take up bicycling. Since then, I have pedaled thousands of miles, including a ride across the United States, annual rides in Holland and a seven-week jaunt in Africa.

I have learned many life lessons while riding my bike, and a local radio call-in show recently reminded me of lesson No. 1: I have a bull's eye on my back.

The show's topic, bicycling and motorcycling, generated calls from disgruntled drivers who are fed up with those of us who see the world on two wheels.

I agree with the callers that there are many arrogant bicyclists who run stop signs, ride on the wrong side of the road, don't wear helmets, talk on their phones while cycling and ride three and four abreast.

I am not here to speak for them. I am writing on behalf of us good guys, the ones who follow the law.

We are out there getting our exercise, saving gas money and reducing Lexington's carbon footprint. When I get on my bicycle for a ride, I consider myself an ambassador for all cyclists. I'm the cyclist who is smiling at you, waving, nodding my thanks and helping you to safely pass me. I don't want to anger any driver; I know that if I aggravate you, you might take it out on the next guy. And then he will have a target on his back. (read more...)

I'm not sure that I can add much to her commentary, except to say that fortunately the "bad apples" are far, far outnumbered by drivers who are at least accommodating, if not careful and conscientious sharers-of-the-road. Unfortunately, it only takes one bad apple to put a cyclist in the hospital...

No comments: