Thursday, September 4, 2008

Heat, speed, and a bit of 'cross!

(Don't ask why I'm posting this at 4:30am...)

Man, it was hot on the way home today! I don't know what the thermometer actually read, but it was just that right combination of heat and humidity that sucks the air right out of your lungs. And of course, I was in a hurry to get home! Fortunately, I had a good bit of speed in the old legs.

The fun part was the 100yd or so of deep, loose gravel and the pit of unrideably deep gravel I had to traverse because I ignored a "road closed" sign. Apparently over the weekend, the road crew working on a key stretch of my new "short" route to/from work decided to rip up one end of it and completely rebuild the road. They've mostly finished the majority of the road, except for finishing the sidewalks and medians... generally it's been in a condition that I can ignore the "road closed" signs and weed through the construction equipment to get through.

Not today, though! Just after the recently rebuilt bridge, they had completely destroyed the roadbed and begun rebuilding it with a fresh layer of gravel and crushed stone. The best part of the zone was at the far end where I had to dismount and carry my bike cyclocross-style up over a 2-foot high "wall" where the new roadbed met the old.

Hoo boy! Those good times, they just keep a rolling! It's no fun doing cyclocross when your bike weighs over 40 pounds!

No comments: