Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Should be an interesting 2009 Tour...

From the AP (Jim Vertuno) this morning:

Look out France, Lance Armstrong is making a comeback.

The 36-year-old Armstrong is breaking out of his three-year retirement and aiming to win yet another Tour de France in 2009, a move sure to shake up things across the Atlantic and give a boost to a sport that has missed its biggest star.

In a formal statement Tuesday, Armstrong called his comeback an attempt to raise global awareness in his fight against cancer. Just as likely, it's also about his relentless desire to compete and win, especially at the Tour, which he won a record seven times from 1999-2005.

(read more)

I really, really hope that this doesn't turn into another Michael Jordan should-have-quit-while-he-was-ahead case. Either way, I may have to pickup digital cable before next July.

In other news, I guess I should be prepared for the weather to be a little crazy going forward. It usually is around here. Yesterday evening it was 64 and a howling wind. This morning it was nearly seventy, and this afternoon pushing 80 and sunny. If things go the way they have in past years, we'll have several months of chilly mornings and hot afternoons (or vice-versa...). This is where "modular" clothing comes in handy. I'm talking about arm warmers and leg warmers, of course. It's an easy way to convert from long sleeves/legs to short... even on the same ride, if need be. I'm saving up for a set... for the leg warmers I'll probably stick with basic black, but for the arm warmers, I'm considering a pair of these...

Ha ha... just kidding, of course. Knowing me, I'll probably stick with black arm warmers. Actually, my wife has been learning to knit, and I've discussed getting a custom-knitted pair of arm warmers... she's considering it...

No comments: