Friday, August 29, 2008

Back on the horse...

(Okay, I didn't shout in this title)

A very, very good ride in this morning. Not only was it nearly perfect weather, but I was fast, and the cars were reasonably well behaved. I recall within days of getting my driver's license, I had a fender-bender at an intersection. I thought my driving days were over, but my parents made sure I was back behind the wheel the next day. They were concerned I would be "spooked." It worked. While I am as cautions and careful as I can be, it has been decades since I was fearful behind the wheel.

Likewise, today, though my legs were "tired," I made myself get back on the bike, knowing that today of all days if I missed, I'd start finding excuses not to ride. I was rewarded with one of the most wonderful morning commutes I've had. A few of the morning's observations:

  • CD's scattered across the road
  • A paper plate "tumbleweed"
  • Lots of kids waiting for the school bus
  • Puffy white clouds
  • Fresh pavement
  • At least three jumbo pickup trucks who think they own the road
  • Mentally buying a new custom race bike with their annual gas bill.
  • It's easier to turn toward my 17lb pannier (left) than away from it (right)
  • Legs are whiners. They're nowhere near as tired as you think.
  • 69 degrees and partly cloudy is nearly perfect cycling weather
  • Cyclists everywhere
Yes, it was a very nice morning. Now, if the thunderstorms will only stay clear of my trip home, it'll be a lovely start to a holiday weekend!

No comments: