Thursday, August 28, 2008

Slow your roll?

I passed a guy on my way to work this morning. The contrast between he and I somehow caught my attention. I was flying, relatively speaking, cruising down a hill through the construction zone. Making time. Playing catchup with my watch, but still enjoying the ride, the speed, the wind in my face.

He was noodling along. Dressed in his work clothes - I'm guessing he was a mechanic or driver for the city bus system - and regular tennis shoes. He didn't appear particularly fit, but he was not struggling to ride. Based on his ease and balance on the bike, I'm guessing he rides frequently, if not daily, and probably has for a long time. He pedaled slowly, at ease. Just making it to work, enjoying the fresh air or perhaps pondering the day ahead.

I flew by him and offered a "good morning" as I passed. I'm not sure if he responded, as I was by too fast to see. A short bit later, I had to take a one-block detour, or at least I thought so. As I returned to the street, here he came. Still cruising along at the same easy pace. Steady. Relaxed.

It made me wonder. Why do I rush to work? Why do I get there all sweaty and wrung out? The obvious answer is, of course, that my commute doubles as a workout, so I go fast for the intensity of exercise. I still enjoy the ride, but the enjoyment comes as much from the burn in my legs and the sensation of flying as it does from the flowers along the road.

Still, there is something to be said for slowing the pace, cruising, whatever you want to call it. Perhaps instead of that speedy roadster I've been eyeing, I should consider an Electra Townie...

No comments: