Saturday, August 23, 2008

Check your Gear!

Yesterday morning, as I noted, I discovered to my dismay that the spare tube I'd been carrying in my Bug bag had the wrong type valve for my wheels. This would have been bad on the road, since I would not have been able to replace a bad tube.

It gets worse. Last night, when I was repairing my flat tire, I pulled out the other spare that I keep in my saddlebag, just in case. Guess what? It too had a Schrader valve (the wrong one!). Even worse, it was a 700c size tube - too big! I had been carrying around a spare tube for TwinMom's bike!!

The moral of this very short story is that you should check your gear periodically and make sure you really are carrying what you think you are carrying. On the side of the road in the rain is the wrong place to find out you forgot your tire levers or that you have the wrong tube.

Check out my articles over on the sidebar for some more information!

No comments: