Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sharing the road...

This column by Tom Eblen ran in the Lexington Herald Leader today...

If you never ride a bicycle, please stop reading this column.

That's right; move on to the next story.

I want to speak to my fellow cyclists, privately.

We all know that rural Central Kentucky is a cyclist's paradise — the gently rolling landscape, the vast web of small, lightly traveled roads and the gorgeous scenery.

In the past few years, thanks to the Newberry administration and the Urban County Council, Lexington has made a lot of progress toward becoming a more bicycle-friendly city.

Each week, it seems, I see new bike lanes on roads that need them. Several bike paths and trails are planned. It's a good thing: Each time gasoline prices spike, I see more people riding bicycles to work, to run errands and to get themselves in shape.

So what's the biggest thing holding back cyclists in Lexington? We are. Not all of us, of course, but more of us than we would like to admit.

(read more...)
I have to say that I agree. Just this morning, before I read the article, I was driving down to the donut shop (boy, that by itself is going to get me in hot water!). I saw a woman crossing the street on her bicycle. Moments later, I almost right-hooked her as I turned into the parking lot... my view of her - and judgement of her speed - was hindered by some parallel parked cars and other sidewalk obstructions.

I've also been on group club rides with riders who feel the need to shout, curse, and even "salute" drivers who weren't paying attention. It's one thing to cluster up when there's nobody in sight, but to hold up traffic only gives us a bad rap. And disregarding stop signs and stop lights (yup... seen that, too) is just dangerous.

Good article, Tom.


No comments: