Thursday, August 7, 2008

They can't all be good days... or can they?

Whew. Hmm... so this is a blog, huh? Well. Good day to start one, I suppose...

I overslept... raced the short way to work... which was decent. Then, on the way home (again the short way, except I took a slightly alternate route... Flying down a hill at 28mph, I notice the rear wheel is shimmying a little. Okay, maybe a lot. I swing on to Fortune and start pulling up the hill and something is really, really wrong...

Sure enough, just two days after bragging about my new flat-proof tires, I've picked up a shard of metal and flatted my rear tire. Well... no biggie. I'm only a mile from home on residential streets. I'll just walk it. Wait! What's this? The sidewalk keeps ending and picking up on the other side of the street! And my heel hurts... bad. Blister on the heel! I get halfway home and realize I'm going to have to lose the shoes.

Still, I don't pull out the phone. Don't know why. Must be the heat making me stupid. So here I go walking the rest of the way home in the grass (as much as possible) barefoot, pushing my bike. Took twenty minutes. I could have changed the tire in 10, and had the Mrs. pick me up in five.

The good part? I made it in and out of the bike shop with only a new tube, replaced the same tire (instead of a new one!), and then switched cleats over to my road shoes to deal with the blister-inducing wear in my commuting shoes. I figure I just saved about $125 just by exercising some restraint. Woo-hoo!

No comments: