Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Singin' in the rain!

So, a dry ride home yesterday, but a wet ride in this morning. The rain wasn't bad, more of a drizzle, but with the wind it was coming at me from all directions. A few things that I discovered:

  • My current "rain jacket" is good at keeping the chill off in dry weather but is completely useless for anything more than a spritz from a water sprinkler.
  • A wet bike is (inevitably) a very dirty bike.
  • Those MTB-style visors on the front of helmets make good rain shields.
  • Roads are slippery. Paint stripes are even slipperier. Railroad tracks are Teflon.
  • It's hard to see when your shades fog up.
  • Once you're soaked, it doesn't matter if you get any wetter.
  • Fenders are a Good Thing.
  • Note to self: Next time, pack dry socks for the ride home.
Just out from my house, the road takes a significant dip with a slight curve at the bottom. I was climbing the crest before the dip when a car passed me a little too fast for the weather. He looked a bit out of control. I watched with a mix of alarm and bemusement as, when he got to the curve at the bottom, he did a complete 360 degree spin before coming to a stop. Don't worry, I was 50 yards behind him and completely safe. He hopped out and checked his car, muttering something about needing more air in a tire. I rolled by, thinking... slow down... it's wet and slippery...

It's not nearly as bad as you'd think riding in the rain. You just have to get over the fear of being wet. The real tricky part is making sure you have dry gear and clothes for the ride home. Still, I'm thinking that until I get some more suitable rainwear, I may have to drive on rainy mornings. Especially as it gets colder.

No comments: