Monday, August 25, 2008

Stupid bikers! (in this case... the author!)

This one could also be titled "Check your Gear! Part 2: Before you ride, not while!"...

So I roll out of the driveway this morning, and in the corner of my eye I see a car coming down the street behind me. So, I decide to simultaneously clip in, fade right to give the car room, and look down to check the inflation level of my rear tire, which feels a little low.

Aaaaaaah! PARKED CAR!!!

Somehow, I miraculously squeeze past the parked car that I'd forgotten about, whacking the windows four or five times with my hand to keep from scratching the paint with my handlebars or pedals, while also managing not to face-plant in the pavement to my left in front of the car behind me.

Result: a mildly sproinged right wrist and shoulder and a very embarrassed cyclist. I really should know better than to stare at my rear wheel in traffic.

Yes, the tire is a bit low, but it's rideable. I should have topped it off before I left, or even the night before.

Now, for the intended topic du jour. I was going to mention the sequence of feelings I have nearly every morning when I ride. You see, I'm not a morning person. At all. I barely function before about 10:00am. However, the kids have to be at school by 7:30, and my boss expects me at work and functional by 9:00. So I've had to adapt. Generally, the alarm goes off about 6:30, and I whap it twice. By 6:48 I'm dragging out of bed to rouse the kids. "Rise and shine!" usually comes out more like "Hey... geddup..." with what I hope is a gentle shove on the nearest accessible knee or shoulder. By the time the kids are up and dressed, i'm usually awake enough to be vocal, and a part of my brain is actively thinking through the routine... shoes... backpacks... food... medicine... count heads in car...

By the drive to school (only a couple minutes), I'm awake enough to give a cheery "Have a nice day!", but I'm fading fast. I hit the door sleepy enough to crawl back in bed, and thinking seriously about driving. Still, I remind myself that I'll feel better if I ride, so I pull on the clothes, grab the bag and head outside. My legs are beginning to figure out they're going to have to do more than push a gas pedal, so they're complaining already...

The first three blocks are easy, but a gentle uphill. This lulls my legs into complacency, but does help to quiet the creak in my knees. I'm starting to think this might be tolerable, though I'm still not past the idea of turning around and driving in. Then I hit the super-steep hard right turn at the light. This requires me to clip in (or balance) and stand on the pedals to accelerate from a dead stop all at once, in traffic. The adrenaline shot is like downing an espresso, and I'm off like a rocket. By the time I hit the next light, it's a race.

The latter part of the short route is flatter, and slightly downhill, so I roll smooth and fast. I'm usually "feeling the burn" in my legs and getting a good workout. I'm enjoying the sunshine and checking out people's flower gardens, looking forward to the day. I'm usually a bit wobbly getting off the bike at work, but mentally I'm awake, refreshed, and ready to go. This is a stark (and pleasant) contrast to when I drive to work and hit the door still groggy, even after a morning Diet Coke.

Given the option, I think I'll take the bike.

No comments: